Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Unable to play back FI8608 H.264 ASF files

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Unable to play back FI8608 H.264 ASF files

Postby elatour » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 pm

How do I play back ASF files recorded by an FI8608W H.264 camera. When I open these files, Windows Media Player launches but complains that it is missing a codec, so I have tried downloading H.264 codecs for Windows Media Player but not luck. Could someone please recommend an easy path for me to follow to be able to play back recorded files?

Thanks!
elatour

Re: Unable to play back FI8608 H.264 ASF files

Postby donked » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Try changing the extension to .mp4

or install a codec pack like here I guess

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htm

If WMP still wont play the ASF file then try the player that was included free with the codec pack (its much more customiseable/streamlined/powerful than WMP anyway)
donked

Postby Trotsky40 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:05 pm

I recommend the VLC media player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I use it to play back the .asf files from my FI9820W. It is a great all around video player and can play pretty much any format you can throw at it.
Trotsky40

Postby elatour » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks for the suggestion guys, they were most helpful.

I had tried a few other codec packs and players but had not had any luck with any of them and ended up having to cleanup my system of spyware after installing one of them that forcefully installed an IE add-on I had specifically told the installer not to install.

I have since tried the K-Lite codec pack and player on two of my WinXP based systems and it's worked out consistently. I still could not get the WMP to play the files, but that's fine since like you said, the player that comes with the package does a pretty good job although I had to ensure that I associated ASF files with it for it launch automatically and view the files instead of launching WMP instead. I have not had a chance to try the other one suggested by Trotsky40 yet for comparisson, but I will gve it a try as well.

Thanks again guys!
elatour

Postby FOSCAM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 am

elatour wrote:How do I play back ASF files recorded by an FI8608W H.264 camera. When I open these files, Windows Media Player launches but complains that it is missing a codec, so I have tried downloading H.264 codecs for Windows Media Player but not luck. Could someone please recommend an easy path for me to follow to be able to play back recorded files?

Thanks!

KMplayer and VLC should be able to play these files.
FOSCAM

Return to Technical Support