Foscam Forum • View topic - Wide Angle lens for FI8905W?

Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Wide Angle lens for FI8905W?

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: Wide Angle lens for FI8905W?

Postby rrs18 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 am

I just noticed that the grass is now green instead of pink on my 8905. I am guessing that this is due to the rain and the lack of sunshine. The grass is soaked and (presumably) unable to reflect the rays that make the grass appear pink to the camera.

Can this be correct or am I all wet?

Thanks

Russ
rrs18

Postby rrs18 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:21 am

Two Pics with 8905. Sunny day and rainy day
rrs18

Postby rrs18 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 pm

rrs18 wrote:I've seen the pics posted earlier and it (wax paper) appears to be a good solution. It's just that I'm reluctant to take the camera down from its perch, and then take it apart if it may not work
I tried the wax paper thing without success. So, i removed it. Will keep looking for a solution
rrs18

Postby JDMonster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:41 pm

I have this same camera and it doesnt adjust to Brightness on its own. Is this common? is there a setting ive overlooked? It doesnt work with either the software it came with or blue iris.
JDMonster

Postby rrs18 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 pm

JDMonster wrote:I have this same camera and it doesnt adjust to Brightness on its own. Is this common? is there a setting ive overlooked? It doesnt work with either the software it came with or blue iris.

Yes, it is common.
rrs18

Postby shai » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 am

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and have the same problem with the 4mm lens in the FI8905W model, as most of you.
Well, I found out (not a great invention ;) ) that if I reduce the resolution from 640x480 to 320x240 the picture gets a bit better.
Did any of you tried this already???

Thanks,
Shai.
shai

Postby Zaeolos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:06 pm

I just installed the new 4mm lens and added the wax paper last night. It does seem to spread out the IR light at night. I also have the ring around the outside of the picture at night now because the lens is shorter, but it's not terribly bad. I may try a second layer of wax paper as I believe the IR light can be toned down a bit. Also if you do this, make sure you cut out the place for your sensor.
Zaeolos

Postby Zaeolos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:57 pm

And here is an image of the camera with the wax paper.
Zaeolos

Postby TPS Foscam » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:33 pm

The problem with the wax paper solution is that it diffuses the light and limits the range of the IR lights considerably. What I've found that works much better is a prismatic lens like what is used for overhead flourescent lights (drop ceiling panel). I used a couple of hole cutter blades to get the dimensions just right and it works great. It reflects the light in an even pattern and covers the entire area of the wide angle lens. The distance is minimally affected, but I can still see out about 100 feet which is much better than when I tried the wax paper (about 60 feet).
prismatic.jpg
TPS Foscam

2.8mm Wide Angle lens focus problem for FI8905W

Postby JRHZ28 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello. I purchased a FI8905W and after reading the thread and being
very handy I ordered a 2.8mm lens and installed. My ONLY issue was the
focus. I could not screw the lens down far enough to get it into focus. When I did (with mild force) it put to much pressure on the IR filter shutter and it would not work properly. I notice in a previous post of how to do the swap that the CCD he was holding did not have the IR filter shutter on it therefore allowing the 2.8 lens to get closer and focus properly. ( I guess? ) I ordered a 4mm from monoprice to see if it will
focus any better. Anyone had or having this probem ? know of a fix or
lens that will work with this IR filter shutter?

Thanks!
JRHZ28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion